- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 leeks, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 quart chicken broth or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 spring thyme
- 4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Cook leeks and garlic in butter with salt and pepper until tender, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, broth, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper to pot and bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Pour in the cream, reduce heat and simmer at least 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- If soup is too thin, simmer until thickened. If it is too thick, add water or stock to thin it out.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.